mercredi 6 mars 2019

Questions about Maine

Hello. Planning to come up to Maine this summer to look for a place, most likely in Central Maine (may be in Dover-Foxcroft area). Would appreciate any feedback.
Will be looking for ready-to-move in home or cabin, not planning on house construction/lot development right now (too many code concerns and I need a place I can move into right away before the Fall). I've heard about unorganized townships and would like to be in one, but it doesn't seem like there're a lot of homes for sale in them, so will probably end up in organized one.

1) I'm trying to figure out a possibility of living in a camp.
- Do they actually ever evict/send notice to people who live in camps full time (since by law it's usually less than 6 month allowed, I think)?
- Does one really have to hide the fact of living in a camp (like hide your car) or can feel more or less free?
- Can UPS/Fedex deliver to camps, normally?
- Can one run a phone line and wired internet to a camp, would there be any problem with utility company?

2) Another question I have: are there any Amish builders who'd build a small (shed-sized) structure and not charge a lot, in Maine? I'd appreciate contact info for them.

3) Water... Are wells affordable (< 5K) throughout entire Maine or there're areas to watch out for, with deep and expensive wells (hundreds of feet, drilling through rock, > 15K)? I'd want to avoid such places.
- Does Maine well water quality generally tend to be good or is there a lot of hard/high iron/salty, etc water than needs filters?
- How do you protect well house contents (including filters) from freezing in Maine usually since winters get quite cold?

4) Any areas/townships that can be recommended?

5) I grew up in very cold and snowy climate but back then we didn't use cars as had very good public transport. Right now I have a sedan car (which I really like). Can I get buy living with sedan on a rural property in Maine for a while, using snow tires or is truck/4wd a must right away? I only need to get out about once a week.
- Is it realistic to park a car kind of close to the road and just shovel the snow to get it out? (don't want to use a blower unless in extreme event, I get sick from fumes) Or do I really need one of those little ATVs that clear snow?
- how to find out if road the house is on being cleared in winter and it's clearing priority? (call the county, township?)

6) What's the common culture of private land use by non-owners in Maine (like walking on it, hunting)?
-I heard that there's a law that makes owner not liable for anything that might happen to visitors on their land - is it right?
- I see that Maine got little public land. Yet it's supposedly outdoorsy state. This means a lot of private land is open for use by non-owners, is it right?
- how to go about finding hiking and camping opportunities considering little public land?

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Questions about Maine

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire