lundi 31 août 2015

UV-82 HP Initial Review

Just got in a latest Baofeng radio to test out, the UV-82 HP. So far I like it quite a bit, and copying my UV-5R setup over was a breeze using chirp with the Export and Import feature using CSV (excel) files. Only does the channel listings this way so the settings stay as they should for that radio model.

I haven't tested the transmit capability to compare it to a 5R, but I will say that the receive compared side by side to a classic UV-5R seems to be a little better. A little less static and noise going on with the channels that come in the best local to me, including the NOAA broadcasts and my local all county fire department calls.

The Dual Watch (Listen to A and B channel banks essentially at the same time for transmission) feature works very well, I could see that really coming in handy for monitoring two separate networks or groups you may have an interest in a SHTF type scenario. You can select which bank, A or B, to broadcast on too using the top of the PTT button and the bottom to make it a quick change in frequencies you talk on.

Build quality seems about the same as the 5R. I have to get used to where the zero and scan buttons are, since it's in a proper place on the 82 compared to on the right side of the 5R. FM receive is also good, with the factory external speaker being noticeably louder than the 5R.

My one real complaint is that the charging base ins't the same as the 5R. This means the USB charger I got for use with the 5R that I can plug into a portable battery won't work on the 82, So i'll have to rig it or find another one built for it. A shame but I can still rig up a 9V charge solution if I really had to.

Once I get my ticket I'll be working the transmit functions to see how they stack up, but the evidence is telling me it's well worth the extra pennies to go with the 82 HP over the 5R for overall range and reception.


UV-82 HP Initial Review

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire