samedi 3 décembre 2016

Entering the realm of HAM

I have been interested in getting into amateur radio for some time now and have finally decided to dive in. I can honestly say I am overwhelmed with confusion. I don't have a good understanding of anything radio and while I am trying to self educate, I am finding it tough to wrap my mind around everything.

Prior to this...I was only familiar with 40 channel CB radio which I've always had in my vehicle. It worked well for traveling. Obviously channel 19 is great for traffic congestion as the truckers always are in the know. It has helped me many times by advising me to take an exit and avoid a crash or traffic jam saving me hours and possibly days through the years. Channel 9 I was always told was for emergency use but I have never heard so much as a whisper on that channel in almost 3 decades. I have also found that each community or small town tends to use specific channels and that it is generally younger adults just playing hide and seek and other CB games.

So I found myself wondering how I could get news or communicate in a SHTF scenario. I wasn't happy with the idea of being limited to a 15-20 mile radius offered by my vehicle CB or a 5-10 mile radius offered by my hand held unit. I wanted regional or bigger (eventually) ability.

I began looking into HAM radio and learned that there are 3 levels of licenses. OK I thought, no biggie, and at only $15 per test why not. I am scheduled to take my technicians test Dec 9th.

Here is where my problem lies...I have been using HamStudy.org to study for the test. It's a great site and easy to use but I'm not really learning anything. All I'm doing is memorizing the answers to multiple choice questions. I have no doubt that I will pass my test but it will be through pure memorization. The substance of many of the questions evades me. I have no concept of bands, frequencies, or radio waves. To me, meters are a unit of physical measurement.

Quite honestly, I know I will pass the test at 100% or close to it but will not come out with any concrete knowledge other than being able to answer the multiple choice questions correctly. I still don't understand what a great deal of it means.

For those seasoned HAMs, is there another source on the interwebs which could start me from the beginning in order to gain a greater understanding from the ground up? I am at the verge of asking stupid questions on this forum and dealing with the abuse.

Also, in an effort to start small and maybe self educate, I did purchase a Baofeng UV-5R PLUS. So far I know how to tune my favorite FM radio station and have located the local fire dispatch channel or frequency or whatever it is. Mildly entertaining but nowhere near my goal (which I realize will take time) of being able to listen and communicate regionally...eventually

Thanks for any help as I enter the HAM community

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Entering the realm of HAM

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire