jeudi 23 juillet 2015

Extending range on an ICOM ICF4002

I am in need of assistance with extending/improving the UHF transmission and reception of some radios in my security force.

Background info.:
I manage a large security force in a foreign country which is run by an American security company securing an American facility and outlying areas. I would rather not get into the names of the company or the organization due to security concerns.

My force covers several outlying zones. One of these zones is farther away than the others and surrounded by many hilltops and ridgelines. On this high ground there has been a lot of new structure construction going on and over the last year my comms has deteriorated to the point where this outlying zone can neither monitor or transmit over my existing network. I have added a repeater to my existing infrastructure but still face this problem.

Short of adding another repeater (cost prohibitive) I am looking for other solutions. My current handheld radio model is the ICOM ICF4002.

Possible solutions?
1. Buy more powerful handhelds for this specific area and associated posts?

2. Push more power through the nearest repeater along with a larger antennae? (this will probably not help if the handhelds are not strong enough to hit the repeater in the first place)

3. Add some sort of fixed antennae to each post in the problem zone and physically attach a cable to the handheld along with a power booster of some sort to effectively make the handheld a stationary radio? (not sure if this is possible)

My radios are all 5 watt in power. I have already added high gain antennae to all of the units but the problem still exists.

Can anybody offer advice?

I lean towards option #3 because I think it fits best within cost restrictions and may be able to get the job done. The problem is that I am not sure if it is even possible since I am not that technical in the radio department and my local comms vendor is very slow with response times for advice. I used a similar approach when I was in Iraq in 1991 with my AN/PRC-77. I was able to rig a field expedient 292 antennae with some stainless steel commo wire and simply attach it to the radio antennae mount and screw down the flex antennae over it to assure proper contact. This worked very well. Not sure if a similar application such as option #3 would work like that.


Extending range on an ICOM ICF4002

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire