vendredi 31 octobre 2014

demolition advice

I have an old detached 2 story garage thats stick framed with a standard a frame roof on a slab.



I plan to remove the entire structure including foundation to make room for new construction. The original building is about 100 years old and the old growth lumber in it is very impressive. back in those days what would be used for framing is top notch flooring today. for this reason I dont want to just demolish it, but deconstruct it to salvage as much as the lumber as i can.



right now i have the interior almost gutted. My intention was to take it down from the top down, remove the roof while leaving the walls intact, knock the siding off the walls on the second floor, take the frame down on the second floor, then do the same on ground level. My thinking is that doing things like this will leave much of the structures rigidity for as long as possible during the process.



Anything I'm missing?



Second issue (and the real reason i made this thread):



The land is on a bit of a slope, and the slab on the low side seems to be about 18" thick at the edge :eek:



I broke up some sidewalk and patio with a sledge and used it for riprap and had the same plan for the foundation. How int he heck am I going to break up a slab thats 18" thick, 100 year old 18" thick concrete with no expansion joint and nary a crack that I can see...? This is a slow project my son and i am working on. I prefer to do things the old fashioned way but I may not be able to avoid heavy machinery for this bit.



any suggestions?



this is in the city so no anfo I'm afraid ;)



TIA





demolition advice

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire