lundi 28 mars 2016

Lentil growing question

Hello -- I've been experimenting with lentils -- mostly looking for a hardy winter crop [two winters no freeze, grows fine].

I'm in FLA Zone 9A. Basically, I've been planting the lentils in a new piece of soil/garden I'm improving.

And have been using the lentils as green manure since I can't seem to get anything to pod.

They have itsy bitsy flowers. Yet to find a pod. Don't know if they aren't fertilizing. Or because the soil isn't up to par don't have the oommp to make seeds.

Planted between Thanksgiving and Christmas in this new area. Presently am dumping cow manure on what the rabbits/deer haven't eating -- which actually is quite a bit left -- and will run the mulching mower over the rows.

[Oh, last year I waited till the last frost. No difference with this year.]

I have learned I can individually plant the lentil seeds and they come up. Or I can toss the seeds down, dump cow manure over them, mulch and they will come up. Or just fling the lentils any old place [and I mean, I have tested to see if it might be the soil area I am working on -- but there isn't any difference between the garden area growth and random here and there growth].

I can even plant them in the summer if they aren't in the full sun all day.

Anyway, no lentil seeds to harvest.

Am I too far south?

Oh, and squirrels like the just tossed out lentil seeds, but don't get them all. Some crows came by and tried some and weren't impressed enough to come back.

I am using lentils store bought at Publix.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Lentil growing question

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire