jeudi 28 juillet 2016

Please help. Pressure canned split pea soup too thick???

I followed the recipe in the Ball blue book and omitted the Ham and the all spice.

I tripled the recipe using 6 quarts of water, 3 bags of peas (16 oz each), 3 cups of onions, 4 1/2 cups of carrots, 3 bay leafs, and instead of 3 cups of cubed Ham I used 3 cups of cubed potatoes (About a 1/4 in cubed).

I did cook the peas longer than recommended because I like smooth. I then added the potatoes, onions and carrots and cooked to soften them up a bit.

I've seen YouTube videos and I understand the pea material sinks to the bottom. But, I had to use a spatula to get it out! I tried to shake the jar to see if it would even out the contents just for the heck of it, it did some but only a little.

I processed 4 quarts and 8 pints together for 90 minutes, and yes, the jars were boiling like crazy when I let the canner cool and took the lid off.

Altogether that's 8 quarts when the recipe only said I would get about 6.

Is this too thick? Do I have anything to worry about???

The above image is to show the cracks in the split pea material and the jar on it's side shows how much liquid is in their in relation to the split peas.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Please help. Pressure canned split pea soup too thick???

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire