mercredi 27 juillet 2016

Mora 511 spine and fire starting

A few months ago I was trying to make a spark with quartz and a Mora 511(basic) new model, and I couldn't for the life of me get it to work, I thought of several reasons why it wouldn't to include my own skill or lack of experience with quartz, the quartz I had wasn't actually quartz or it was too refined, etc... Fast forward to tonight I was playing with a ferro rod with an old Sharp hunting knife and it ran right off it, has a smooth round spine so I grabbed the mora to try and it didn't work, didn't even catch enough to rub black off, thinking it might be the ferro rod I grabbed another knife and it worked great retried the mora on the used part of the rod still nothing. So i grabbed a ferro rod I've used a bunch and tried with the Mora and nothing. I also tried a couple other knives on the new rod and any one that I've used with other rods worked fine. I googled it and apparently some have said they don't have a great spine angle for throwing sparks and there a few suggestions to get it there, one of which running it down a coarse stone in a sawing motion for a while till you get a sharp 90 degree edge. Others don't mention anything about the spine and seem to have no issues with them.

So was my failure on the quartz most likely the same issue with the ferro rod? Is quartz any harder to spark with than a ferro rod? I know the 511 is high carbon steel and is suggested by many because it's "ability" to spark on quartz. Has anyone else ran into this issue, is it a hit or miss thing, a known thing, or an anomaly? I see 100s of moras with fire steel, many knife models, but a lot of them are the 511 I have to believe everyone with them has tested them out. Maybe playing with the quartz I smoothed the spine out, I spent a while testing it out?

Feeling the spine on mine it is a little smooth going to grab the other one from the shop on Saturday and see if it has the same thing.

This is why we should always test our equipment out.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Mora 511 spine and fire starting

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire