mercredi 23 septembre 2020

Letting onions go to seed in cold weather

Onions are very hardy. If you cover the onion with a little soil it will probably go to seed NEXT year, not this year.

It will not go to seed this year because the tops have fallen over, and so now the onion will rest for a while: how long it rests will depend on the variety but since winter will be here very soon it will not flower this year.

I have about 4 square feet in my garden that I keep in onions. I will leave onions in the bed year round, and simply take an onion when I need one. In the spring I allow a couple of large plants go to seed, and some of the onions divide as well. One way or another the bed always has a lot of onions in it,

In the spring before the bulbs form I will cut up a large onion plant to use in my recipes, and I use the bulbs the rest of the year.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Letting onions go to seed in cold weather

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire