samedi 26 septembre 2020

My New Food Storage Pantry

Finnally made some real progress with my new pantry. When I built my new house, I left one of the basement rooms unfinished, with the intent of turning it into a pantry. The pantry room measures 9ft by 11ft, and has power and lights. This is a walk out basement, constructed with a solid concrete slab floor and an ICF walls. This keeps the temperature in the basement in the mid 60s yr round.

Since this was the last unfinished room, it had gathered a great deal of construction trash, and unused insulation pannels. Took a full day to clean it completely. Next, I moved in my large chest freezer. A chest freezer exhausts heat into the room as it runs, but so far this has not warmed up the room much.

This weekend I purchased a couple of 48" wide commercial storage shelves, and installed them on one wall. The room has enough room to for matching pair of shelves on the ajoining wall.

Since my wife and I have been living in a 5th wheel camp trailer while building the new house, we dont have enough canned goods to fill the first two shelves. Perhaps 3-4 months worth. I plan to buy more canned food.

But my big plan is to start canning my own meat and produce using a bunch of jars, and a pressure cooker we got from a neighbor. This neighbor has been processing 5-6 white tail deer every year, and has recipies for yummy venison dishes. Since each hunting license comes with six deer tags, and the area supports large herds of deer and feral hogs, I hope to store a large precentage of my yearly meat.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



My New Food Storage Pantry

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire