dimanche 15 janvier 2017

Standard Hunting Scope for Long Range

Can you use a standard hunting scope on a modern magnum rifle for long range shooting? It depends on what you consider long range shooting. For prepping purposes having something that can drop a man size target at 400 yards, point of aim point of impact is pretty far as far as I'm concerned. I posted this on another forum and got mixed reviews. I'll see what you guys think.

This data was done using a 180 grain .300 win mag. I shot his rifle through a chronograph and determined his MV was 2923, after measuring the scope height and determining his bullets BC, I played with the zero distance until I found the perfect zero range that I wanted. I was setting this up for a friend who was going elk hunting. He did take a nice big bull elk at a far distance.

I have a long range set up with a sniper scope and adjustable turrets, which is what I prefer, but you can take standard gun and reliably get out pretty far. Further than you would most likely need to shoot. We went with a 400 yard zero distance, and at that range temperature really does not effect the bullet. The idea is to pick up the standard gun and aim at the belly from 0 to 400 yards if you want, but certainly at 400 you could aim dead on. Here is the dope:
Range in yards
100 7.3
200 11.2
300 9.2
400 0.0
500 -47.2

The picture shows how close these bullets actually land, with the .400 mark being the aiming point. 100, 200, AND 300 all land within the space of an AR15 magazine. I know some will object to this method, but it seems pretty straight forward to me, and produced a nice elk. If you have a closet full of bolt guns you can zero one for more extended ranges without investing any money.

Click image for larger version Name: IMG_1171.jpg Views: 2 Size: 56.0 KB ID: 182378

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Standard Hunting Scope for Long Range

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire