mardi 2 février 2016

My DIY Outdoor Wood Furnace

Hey everybody,

This is my first post in LONG time. unfortunately due to life, work, and many other circumstances, my free time has been OVERLY invaded for far too long.

However, good news is that last fall, I was able to purchase and move to the country and am now enjoying country life once again.

I have been working hard at the homestead and have been documenting my projects for fun and to help anyone thinking of doing the same.

By no means do I consider myself an expert, but more of a "we make it work" kind of guy.

Anyway, I had read some older posts about wood stoves and furnaces, and thought I would post a video of my DIY outdoor furnace:https://youtu.be/qMoAZGiHuiE

Long story short; When I bought the property, I realized that it was heated soely with Electric. I looked at several outdoor wood units and due to cost, was not able to go that route. I also looked at my insurance coverage and the ability to use a wood stove inside, that was a no-go.

I then decided to "make it work". I Saw a U.S. stove Hotblast model 1400 on Craigslist for $300.00 and was able to obtain an older walk in cooler for use as building materials for the covering as well as roofing metal.

So far, Ive been able to get roughly 4-6 hour burns on realy cold days, and 7+ on warmer days. It seems to keep the house no cooler than 65 when the temps are in the teens, and usually 70+ anytime it is above 30.

I used 8" hard line sending two lines of the furnace; One to each "run" of ducting on the doublewide.

This system is completely independent of my Heatpump other than using the existing duct work. I also have to put a metal plate over the return side of the heatpump/electric furnace unit in order to keep all my hot air from going out the top of the unit. The only draw back is that I can't use the Heatpump to kick on if the temp gets too low, but so far, I have not needed it.

Let me know what you guys think, I hope to post more and keep working on my video's as well. Due to the sad state of affairs her in the U.S. I fear the need to be self sufficient and prepared is greater now than ever.

Thanks,

God Bless

Redbird

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.



My DIY Outdoor Wood Furnace

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire