dimanche 28 février 2016

Change my mind about owning a gun

I was thinking of getting a compact pistol to conceal carry within the year, but I recently talked myself out of it.

It just seems unnecessary. I am not against guns or some hippie, if you want to carry, carry. Personally, I just don't see how carrying a gun would make me safer. It seems like a lot of hassle for not much of a reward. Buying the gun, buying accessories, getting a CCW permit, buying ammo, target practice, range fees, carrying it day in and day out, not to mention the legal and emotional toll that would follow actually having to use a firearm in a self defense scenario. If you weren't dead by the act, you're going to wish you were dead when the family sues, court fees, etc. i've done research and I've heard that there's upwards of $50k in expenses following a shooting, and that's not to mention the lost time and lost wages, etc. I'm not military so I don't know what it's like to kill someone but I lost a very good friend to suicide a year and a half ago and there's thoughts that run through my mind constantly about what I could have done differently, feeling like I was responsible... I couldn't really imagine what it would be like to actually pull a trigger and kill someone. I've seen what a violent death does to a family....

Just from a statistical standpoint, there's about a 1% chance that you'll ever be in a self defense situation where things can't be talked out or deescalated and that you'll have to pull, or use a gun. Less than 1%...that's like winning the lottery...

What do you think? I don't know what to think. If you're wondering, I am mentally stable, I just have a lot on my mind some days.

Respectful opinions please. I have no issues with guns. I just don't know if owning one is right for me. Looking for someone to change my mind.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.



Change my mind about owning a gun

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire