jeudi 2 juin 2016

What can we learn from something like the 1986 Miami shootout?

This afternoon got a little slow at work so I did my usual and jump onto Wikipedia for some time killing. I usually end up reading out a WWII or Vietnam battle, a serial killer, a disaster of some kind (Chernobyl, Challenger explosion) or a shooting of some kind. A few weeks ago I read about a McDonald's shooting spree from years ago where a bunch of people were killed by a guy who snapped. Well, I decided to go back and reread the article on the Miami shootout between 2 criminals and 8 agents. In doing so, I realized that there could be some things to learn from it. Feel free to chime in what your $.02 is. What I took away as I contemplated it was some of the following:

1. A rifle is a great equalizer. Outgunned 4 to 1 and the criminals still pinned down the agents. In fact, the guy with the rifle did most of the shooting. His accomplice was unconscious for some time before returning to the fight.

2. Both a wheel gun and a semi auto can jam and/or malfunction at the worst time.

3. Adrenaline and a will to survive can get you far in a SHTF life-and-death situation.

4. A handgun is good protection but a scatter gun or rifle is better.

5. Shot placement, regardless of caliber, is paramount.

6. Know where cover is and don't hesitate to use it.

7. When confronted with force respond with greater force.

I would bet most people older than myself know the event or have read about it but here is the Wiki page. And here is a cheesy but rather accurate retelling of the event.
1986 Miami FBI shootout

Let's block ads! (Why?)



What can we learn from something like the 1986 Miami shootout?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire