samedi 18 mars 2017

White leghorn hariness

2016 I bought either 22 or 24 chicks, a feral cat killed just about all of the them. The first ones to go missing were the white leghorns.

Late January 2017 I bought 6 leghorns, 3 delawares and 3 silver laced wyandottes.

At around 7 weeks old I moved them from the small chicken house out to the large house and flock.

A week later one of the leghorns is dead, while the others are not looking good.

Delawares are looking ok and the silver laced wyandottes look the best.

I doubt I will be buying any more leghorns. They do not seem to be very hardy and are rather small.

The chicken house is 16 x 16 foot, chicken yard is around a 1/2 acre and they get to free range. There is plenty of room, the hoopers have feed in them, the chicks have access to water.

I just not understand what the problem is? I wanted to up my egg production so I bought some leghorns. Now I am wondering if they are suited for farm life?

I have not had this problem with the dual purpose heritage breeds. Rhode island reds, buff orpington, australorp,,, never have problems like this. Rarely do I lose a chick that is 2 months old.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



White leghorn hariness

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire