dimanche 12 mars 2017

how much to charge to sell off a collection.

A few years ago a good friend of mine passed away.
His sons have asked me to broker selling his collection.
(They each own a couple dozen, but aren't "gun guys"... took them a while to deal with guilt etc. Now they want to sell to pay for my buddy's grandkids private school etc.... which is in accordance with his wishes.)

The collection encompasses civil war to modern, but the emphasis is WW1-Korea.

They were semi-estranged, in his last 5 years I probably spent more time with him than they did.
They aren't family, but I'm considered family by their extended family and we see each other a couple times a year.
(When he died I got the call, called my buddy, who called them.)

They were nice enough to give me several guns (probably $5k) my friend had tagged with my name.
(I also helped clean, sort, and store 400+ guns, and assorted parts, ammo, bayonets, etc.)

Basically I'm going to do right by them, but don't "owe them anything"

They passed word to me they "want to make it worth my wile" to handle this. (We will talk details at the good friday crawfish boil.)
-I'm going to try to talk them into (probably sucessfully) keeping some choice pieces like his (damn near mint) Black Army 1911 for the grandkids, but the collection is ~400 guns and if I could take a couple years+ to sell it (which may happen) total value would probably exceed $400k. (Guns, mags, blades, uniforms, parts, etc.)
-speed of sale, especially in this market CONSIDERABLY lessens this number however.

I'm trying to consider how much to ask for to handle this, I have several thoughts, but it also depends on what they want.
Options I can think of:

1. Call 20-40 guys, (I've already put many on standby), give them the boys number and stand back.
I'd do this free, and in turn they would likely give me a "family discount" on a few pieces I want. (But I already know they want me to do more)

2. Other extreme:
Arrange a wholesale sale.
I'd talk them out of it, and they wouldn't likely go for it with me around. (Might if I wasn't there to do work.)

3. Take probably 2 years and get top dollar. I could do it, it would be fun, some work, and I have the time. They could get a good chunk pretty quick, then I'd be working on it. (There's enough 03 springfields alone to seriously impact the market if they were dumped at once. ) And Bert spent YEARS "putting them back" correct. Them, the M1's, and Carbines.... and I helped, so I know his notes/system.)
This would take some WORK on my part, I'd do it, but I'd want to get paid. (No issues logistically, they would let me drive off with $50k+ worth at a time and trust me on a handshake.... while Bert was alive I had the key to his house and could borrow anything I wanted, as long as I wanted.)
I'd be comfortable quoting them $250-$350k if done in this manner.
(And I like to under promise and over deliver.)

4. Take a year or so, sell off the "expensive stuff" and then take the dozens of "this was cheap at the gunshow this weekend" stuff
Dozens of shotguns, hunting rifles, spotter ised bolt guns, and random pistols.... and sell them at close to wholesale.
Or I might (with full disclosure) buy a wacking chunk myself and spend the next 10 years selling them at gunshow etc....
Selling off the random crap will be the most "work"
It's easy to sell trench guns, M1D's, 03 snipers, etc....
They won't want to keep it though, and wholesale return is ****ty.

I could be compensated in cash I raised, but I'd rather be paid in guns.... which they would be fine with. (I'd get cash for expenses.)

Mainly looking for feedback for 3, 4 and a 5th option if I'm missing something. (I do have contacts with gun stores, manufacturers, importers etc... wholesale would be easy (all or part) but I'd hate to leave it on the table.)
I have a number in mind for #3, but I'll wait to hear opinions first.

Thanks, I've known this is coming (Bert used to joke about leaving me a mess.)
But.... the time is now.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



how much to charge to sell off a collection.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire