jeudi 2 mars 2017

Owl question

A couple evenings ago, just past twilight but not dark yet, I was outside and out of the corner of my eye saw an owl land in a big pine nearby. It wasn't completely dark and I could see it was a Great Horned owl. It went from branch to branch for a minute or so, and I could hear a squirrel making an alarm call. There must have been a squirrel nest in the tree but it was almost dark and I couldn't tell the clumps of pine needles from a nest, so I couldn't tell. After a minute or so I could hear what sounded like a shredding sound. At first I thought it was the squirrel scrabbling around on the pine tree trunk. I'm sure some of you have heard squirrels scrambling up and down pine trunks and their claws make a noise on the bark because the bark is loose around the edges. But then I started to see stuff falling and wondered if the owl was tearing the nest apart. Again, it was almost dark and I couldn't see what the owl was doing and couldn't tell the nest from the pine needles. Also, after a couple minutes I didn't hear the squirrel anymore.

Does anyone know if an owl will tear apart a squirrel nest to get at the squirrel or it's infants or juveniles?

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Owl question

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire