samedi 28 octobre 2017

Neighborly Communications

For those not familiar with radios, any decent FRS/GMRS radio will cover about .5-1.0 mile on flat, suburban terrain. Motorola has some really good ones, and they run on any AA battery you can find (alkaline, lithium disposable, and Eneloop rechargeable); they can also receive weather information and can even recharge batteries with a USB port. Unless I knew with certainty that they could operate something more sophisticated, this is what I would provide to neighbors.

For those more familiar with radios, Baofeng handheld radios can be programmed to operate on FRS/GMRS frequencies, but they can also operate on many other frequencies (police, fire, EMS, marine, HAM, and FM broadcast). These are NOT a plug and play easy option.

I have a couple of FRS/GMRS radios that I would give to one or perhaps two neighbors in the event of a significant disaster where everyone bugged in. I would then communicate with them using one of my Baofeng radios that I've already programmed to operate on the same frequencies.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Neighborly Communications

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire