vendredi 27 octobre 2017

Henry Survival .22 (AR7) vs. Ruger 10/22 Takedown (my $0.02)

I have read a couple threads about either or both of these guns, and thought I'd offer my $0.02, as I own both. I also owned a non-takedown 10/22 years ago.

The prices were within $20 of each other. I have the camo AR7 (an upcharge over the black), and this version of the 10/22 Takedown (although I paid under $300 for it).

For those asking which one is better, the answer is both (or possibly, "it depends").

The Henry shoots accurately as-is, and is very comfortable for me. I have had the gun for about 14 months. The peep sight is simple and functional, albeit plastic (but it's bright!). It is also a bit finicky with ammo, which I had heard in other reviews. However, once I switched to CCI Mini Mags, I have had no issues. It's compact and water-resistant, fits VERY nicely inside my backpack, and is all self-contained. IMHO, it's not a gun to take to the range to run a bunch of rounds through; it is, however, great for its intended "survival rifle" purpose.

I picked up the Ruger Takedown to use at the range more regularly with the family. The better quality of the Ruger (which I've only owned for a couple months) is immediately evident. That being said, I replaced the trigger with the lighter-pull BX drop-in trigger before I ever fired the gun (extra $$$); why they don't just spec the gun with this trigger is a mystery to me, aside from the incremental sales dollars they receive. The ergonomics of the gun don't work well for me, which is consistent with my old/former non-takedown 10/22. The factory sights suck (which I had read before buying it), and weren't sighted in from the factory. The gun was shooting consistently 5" high/left at 25 yards. There's no micro-adjust on the OEM sights, so it's tedious, to say the least. SO, the incremental $$$ are quickly adding up for my "inexpensive" Takedown 10/22. I'm getting ready to order a Magpul X-22 Backpacker stock and a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot.

So for me, the Henry is the better out-of-the-box, "keep it in your BOB" option on a budget. The Ruger, while more impressive in quality (and again, the "gold standard" for .22s), is getting better as I spend more $$$ on it. It's not quite as compact as the Henry, but it's still reasonably pack-friendly.

So there's my personal opinion...worth what you paid for it.

Craig

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Henry Survival .22 (AR7) vs. Ruger 10/22 Takedown (my $0.02)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire