jeudi 28 mars 2019

Entry-Level Portable Ham Radio EMCOMM Kit

For those interested in starting a ham radio kit, I just posted a page about how I built my entry-level portable comms kit. It's mainly focused on assembling a kit you could leave in a vehicle or toss in for road trips, but it would be pretty much the same for backpacking minus some of the antenna mounts. Antenna and battery upgrades would still be the same.

http://www.tothewoods.net/Comms-vehi...EMCOMM-kit.php

It's written for new-ish hams who aren't yet willing to invest in one of the big three's handhelds--Yaesu, Kenwood, ICOM. That's more than a lot of people are willing to spend, especially as a first step into the hobby, so I started with two Baofengs and some relevant accessories for each vehicle...antenna upgrades, better batteries with flexible charging options, etc.

I'm not arguing that Baofengs are the answer to everything or are better than the big three...just that they're adequate for a beginner. I just bought a Yaesu FT-818ND and will get a Yaesu handheld at some point, but I still consider the Baofengs useful additions. I can leave them in the cars without a financial burden, and I care a lot less if I drop a $50 radio into the river than a $150 Yaesu, and for the price of two Yaesus I can outfit ten people with adequate comms.

So I see the Baofengs as a separate capability from the nicer, more expensive radios...an entirely different category even though they're all handhelds, just like how three commuter cars are a different capability than one Porsche for the same price.

Anyway, have a look if you'd like, and I'm interested in feedback if you have any.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Entry-Level Portable Ham Radio EMCOMM Kit

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire