samedi 14 octobre 2017

Can a black bear snap an elk leg?

Guessing the answer is yes.

I do a lot of hiking and hardly ever see elk or deer. Think once every 40 hikes or so. I do see black bear on more frequent occasion and bear sign quite often. They can remove over 1/2" of bark, down to the wood, from aspen tree's with their claws. They may also seem capable of living on the plentiful though small bluish pine tree berries judging by their droppings.

I find plenty of deer and elk bones and some elk hooves with 6" to 12" of elk leg still attached with the fur. Indicating a fairly fresh kill. The youngest dog finds these partial legs to be quite fascinating indeed.

I can think of no other way for broken elk legs to be found on approx. every other hike. I should find a lot more deer and elk sign. What I do find is a lot of black bear sign.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Can a black bear snap an elk leg?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire