vendredi 26 juin 2020

And we think we are living in trying times

Today as I was reading my mothers diary, I began one on a New Year's Day entry. She was 41 at the time, and the kids were in the mountains east of Bakersfield, California. "Today looks like it will be the beginning of a peaceful year." Then came December 7, 1941, which meant Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and the U.S. declared war on the Japanese Empire. Three years later her 14-year old son entered the Marines as a 17 year old and at 18 fought in Okinawa. I, her third son was born 3 years before the war ended.

I have a newspaper on my wall, June 6, 1944 of the Bakersfield Californian with the title: "4000 ships, 11,000 planes send mighty allied army into France."

We may think times are tough but I'm sure earlier times were tough for earlier generations. History tells us a lot.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



And we think we are living in trying times

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire