mercredi 12 août 2020

Dried veggies for LTS in mylar. O2 absorbers, moisture absorbers both?

O2As have to release a bit of moisture to catalyze the iron and sodium.

A desiccant can potentially interfere with the process. Nor may the interference be an all or nothing event. It might act like a smaller O2A.

The collected musings here tend to lean 2 ways. 1. Why bother? The food seems to last without the extra hassle. 2. If using both the desiccant goes into the bottom of the bag first, fill with food, and O2A on top.

Note that a food already too damp isn't going to get drier by adding a desiccant. Those dehydrating or buying need brittle crisp.

Personally, I think you only need to consider doing this in damp climates. While odd microclimates happen anywhere, I'd say your state is basically dry enough all year. Down on the Gulf Coast in August like me? I'd likely do it if I mylar bagged this time of year. But I don't. My summer and fall garden produce gets blanched and frozen until November. I start my dehydraters then. I mylar bag optimally in January when my house is as dry as a bone from the weather and heater.

Are you right on a river or lake and get unusually high humidity for your region? Otherwise I'd say you are safe.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Dried veggies for LTS in mylar. O2 absorbers, moisture absorbers both?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire