dimanche 23 août 2020

Fall garden goofs.... + good nematodes?

Thinking that you 'should' be able to learn from mistakes, even if you are good from other people's mistakes:

Hot, humid, dry.... the time I never seem to be able to remember to START my fall garden plants early enough! I have it on my garden calendar, but don't think when major harvesting AND hot and dry... to start the plants.

The "best" time to plant your cold season plants here in SW Missouri, is the middle of August... when means first of July to start the plants......

For the cole crops, I agree that middle of August... (did find a few broccoli and cabbage plants, ONE var. of each... I would usually start 3 var. of each, for faster, longer, and more frost hardy).

I will also plant SOME of the other cool season crops end of August for fall... but most / best for overwintering under row cover, I will plant end of Sept. / first of Oct. (spinach, kale, chart etc.)

I guess I need to also put the "start fall plants" on my regular cal. too.....

AND

Need to remember next spring to plant the few cool season crops that may well last all year AT THE SAME END of the bed. I have a nice bed that is just about toast, with some kale that is still doing well at one end, and another section IN THE MIDDLE. I only have the tractor tiller, so while I can back in from either end, this does not work with a patch at one end and another in the middle. Will be tilling one in this evening.

AND

Did it work ? Last fall I ran into a Mennonite truck farmer at the farmer's market. He was 100% convinced that the ONLY way he could make it market gardening was to use beneficial nematodes.

I put them out this spring, and this the best garden I have had in years. Tomatoes are all (but one) looking great (they are usually toast many weeks ago), the cucumbers, squash etc all look great too....... and they would have been long dead.

Coincidence, or did they really help ?

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Fall garden goofs.... + good nematodes?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire