dimanche 27 novembre 2016

Could your family survive on prepper food?

Lately my wife and I have been consuming a lot of our stored food, such as commercial stew mix, and dried cheese, all kinds of grains. beans. rice, powdered milk, etc. Today I fixed a beef stew and had I not had store-bought stew meat, we could not have gotten the stuff down. And with no electricity I can't keep meat.

Some may think they would use venison or other wild game, but still one cannot keep it..No freezer of refrigeration and a generator is out of the question because it is too loud and would bring marauders to one's home. Canned beef is OK but canned rabbit or deer would gag most kids.

Lately I have been using a lot of canned dry cheese, but although it doesn't taste bad, it has no oil in it so it takes a lot to give flavoring. I have non-instant powdered milk, something that the Mormon Church recommends for storing. This is what has been stored by Mormons for the last 50 years so there is a lot out there. Powdered milk is not like instant milk in that it is very hard to mix up so it is usually used in cooking.

Grains such as spelt, kamut, wheat (pre-GMO), rye, buckwheat, oat groats, and even white rice is fairly nutritional but unless one has a grinder to make flour, it is rough to use. Nearly every morning for breakfast I prepare a cereal made of home-ground nutritional flour, mixed with powdered milk and apple-sauce. And I use powdered eggs when I make waffles or pancakes, which work better on the wood stove when it is cool outside. I could do all this without power but it would take a while.

For those who plan on someday living off their storage, you need to buy "Passport To Survival", by Esther ****ey. She will show you how to make wheat gluten meat, but it takes a while and if you don't have lots of seasoning and bouillon stored to flavor it, I doubt you family will be very interested in it.

My wife and I are somewhat used to the blandness of food storage but most families will suffer. I would recommend people to store lots of canned chicken and salmon, plenty of bouillon and spices, instant milk, and peanut butter. Also it is good to store flax for grinding into a flour for a high-nutrition addition to other foods and it is cheap to buy. When it comes to cooking beans without ham or bacon I find them nearly impossible to get down even with lots of spices, so your best bet with beans is to grind them into flour.

And if someone gives you a sack of beans that might be 30-40 years old be darn sure you have a pressure cooker. You hear people saying that folks will come their way looking for food and you can give them wheat, rice, and beans but if they have no hand-grinder, how could they use what you give them? And they also won't have cookware or flavorings.

Maybe Trump will save use and make America great again so we will never need to use our storage. Let us hope!!

For years we just stored all we could whenever it became available. I now doubt I will ever be able to use what I have stored.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Could your family survive on prepper food?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire