dimanche 30 juillet 2017

Should I prune these tomato plants?

A friend who grew up farming and gardening visited my house a couple days ago and was looking at my tomato plants. He says the plants have way too many leaves, and he recommends removing some of the leaves so more resources will be devoted to the fruit.

He says this has happened because the plants have gotten too much fertilizer.

I am growing the plants in Earthboxes. Each Earthbox is a kit that comes with soil, dolomite, fertilizer and instructions.

The tomato plants are the Oregon Spring variety. They are determinate. The plants started setting fruit about two weeks ago. I estimate that about ten percent of the blossoms have morphed into tomatoes.

Should I get rid of some of the leaves? If so, what is the procedure? For example: Should I pull off random leaves? Or should I pinch off or clip off entire stems (if so, probably I should clip stems without blossoms or fruit)? Or what?

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Should I prune these tomato plants?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire