mardi 23 janvier 2018

Digital DMR vs. Analog?

Would buying a digital radio be wise for future-proofing myself or would it largely be unnecessary if you don't have a clear need?

I'm developing a plan to get rid of 2-3 HT dual band radios (all analog) to be replaced with 1 radio that has everything I want in a single, Part 90 radio. I have one Yaesu HT amateur radio that I will keep. As I've been digging around, I came across the Anytone AT-D868UV, a digital/analog dual band, Part 90 radio:

https://powerwerx.com/anytone-atd868...-band-handheld

Potential uses for this radio would be with ski patrol, that I know is analog. The other potential use (and this idea is in its infancy) is that I may start bike patrolling a local hiking/mountain bike trail this year. People have been torn up on this trail and the local fire dept. has struggled finding people, let alone getting equipment in and people out. I would have to have discussions with the local fire/EMS depts. but if I need to interface with the local fire dept., they may be digital.

I have a clear view of my needs/wants in the analog space but I'm less clear on the digital space. If I'm buying a radio anyway, I want to make sure I spend my money wisely.

With specific regard to the D868UV above, I have a Powerwerx external mic that appears to be compatible. I'm guessing the GPS feature is for APRS? This radio could be a possibility; the other one I'm considering is a TERA TR-590 but it is analog only, no GPS, and I would need to buy all new accessories.

Thanks!

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Digital DMR vs. Analog?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire