vendredi 12 janvier 2018

Old Food, how to make it safe.

OK,

This is a thread about how to make old food safe. A ton of foods can get bacteria growth after passing their best before dates. It could take days, it could take months.

What I do know is that moldy dairy generally can be made safe by bringing it to a point of separation of the curd and whey. I've had good success with this, particularly if a little bit of lemon or some other acid like vinegar is added to it. At a given point of temperature it froths out as it reaches its boiling point and separation point. After this process the whey liquid will separate to the top of the thicker remainder that would be curd if it was just milk.

I go to the added measure of adding probiotics afterward. Generally I would not recommend the heavily visible bacterial parts but the invisible bacteria may be mitigated if what you have has live cultures. This has worked for sour cream and yogurt and milk.

Vegetables and fruit generally remain safe if boiled after they have started going mushy. The real question is is IS the liquified stuff still safe to use such as liquified letuce or liquifed spinach, not sure exactly what that stuff is or why greens melt into a liquid.

I generally assume some food value can be gotten from "rotten foods" in a relatively safe way if it is boiled. I speak about this from experience.

I would eat boiled spoiled food that I would never consider eating without boiling it.

Anyone have any suggestions on specific food types on this, and how to render them safe or reusable?

I'd suspect anyone who surives a major crisis where food chain logistics breaks down this information could be useful.

I've also noticed some bread/pastries get soft as they age others gets dried out, while other stuff gets mold easily. The stuff that gets soft seems to be ok, the stuff that gets hard can be rehydrated, the stuff with mold I don't really trust.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Old Food, how to make it safe.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire