samedi 24 mars 2018

This winter has been a reality check...

Hello fellow keloland dwellers! I've just moved here from WA in december, where it never got colder than 20 degrees. I've had to deal with some things I never considered before.

Storage of batteries:
I checked my batteries, and 1/4 of my Aaa batteries had leaked. They were not discharged at all, which leads me to believe they leaked do to freezing. Also, I was gifted a stanley jump pack with compressor, the battery failed by January. Is it unreasonable to store an sla battery in my car? All I can figure is it slid in my trunk and turned on at some point, draining the battery, then in its discharged state it froze. I went to use it, discovering it was dead so I plugged it in to charge. I've read a sure way to kill an sla battery is to charge it while it's frozen.

Storage of water: I knew this would be a problem.. But... How the heck do Yall store large quantities of water if you can't heat the space you store it in?

Duct tape:
To my surprise, this stuff doesn't stick worth crap when it's cold. It actually started falling off the roll when I tried to get some. Any other product like duct tape that can work in - 30?

Clothing:
I have had a hard time finding a ballance between something that blocks the wind but I won't sweat to death in. In WA, when it was cold I would wear a cotton beanie, and take it off if I started sweating. I did that here when I was working in my storage unit, but as soon as I stepped into the wind, my hair froze. I have replaced it with wool, I can keep it on while sweating and not feeling like a wet mop.

Plastics:
I have found that at these Temps, some plastics crumble like this glass when impacted. What plastics are good down to - 30?

Frozen mud in my tires:
I never had to deal with this before cause I'm a city boy, but my folks live out in the sticks, with lots of dirt roads twice now I have gotten mud trapped in the wheel that causes a bad vibration at speed. Is that just something I need to live with? Sure I could use a hose and spray it out, but my dad doesn't want to use it when it's cold.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



This winter has been a reality check...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire