mercredi 28 mars 2018

USGI Canteen Cup

I had the good fortune today to buy a USGI Canteen Cup at a Goodwill store for .99 cents plus tax.
It's the one where the handle snaps out from the bottom and can sit very securely on flat surface (not the 'butterfly' handle).
It's marked with the usual 'US' and a contractor mark 'W.C.W'.
Stainless steel, and I'm impressed w/ the quality.
This thing weighs 9.4 ounces, quite heavy for backpacking, but it is built like a tank. Could probably handle straight flames or on coals for hours with no issues. the word 'bulletproof' comes to mind. Holds about 20 ounces water to the brim. Due to the heavy construction I've no doubt it could cook stews, soups from scratch, etc.

BUT...the weight! I have an aluminum Olicamp nesting mug that also is 20 ounce H2O capacity that weighs less than 4 ounces. Titanium pots weigh even less. A 'Boy Scout' pot is similar H2O capacity and weighs less than 5 ounces, and it is an actual pot w/ lid.

You old GI Grunts that carried wool blankets, M1 Garands w/ 80 round 30-06 cartridge belts, canvas tents, etc. (my hats off to you) may think I'm a snowflake, but Good Lord, I'm 65 years old and need gear as light as possible.
Well, laugh if you want, but ounces make pounds. You try carrying those extra pounds up mountain trails and then tell me what you think.

But even so, I may carry the GI Cup. Especially if I were in the backwoods, where gear MUST last, where you can't easily replace items that failed. I might just walk slower.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



USGI Canteen Cup

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire