dimanche 30 décembre 2018

Check your spare tire, tire iron, jack, etc!

Decided to throw this PSA out there after my recent experience this past Thursday on my way to work.

Had a blow out on my way to work, pulled into a gas station about 3-4 miles out, and figured this should be a 10-15 minute pain in the ass, but oh well. Car is a '98 Honda Accord I purchased exactly 3 years ago this month. When I bought it, like I do every car I purchase, I took quick inventory of everything in the trunk. The spare itself is under the false floor of the trunk, and the jack/tire iron combo are in a separate compartment built into the side. Everything looked correct, even nestled in their proper places so I figured good to go....

Now I'm going to loosen the lugs before I get that wheel off the ground. The socket part of the tire iron is too big for the lugs on the vehicle, far too much play to get the lugs off. Once I get them off with a 4 way that was brought to me, much to my delight the spare tire is a 4 lug wheel like what is on the car, but a far smaller bolt pattern. If I had to guess, by the size of this thing, and the goofy bolt pattern, its got to be an early-mid 90's VW, Hyundai, or Kia spare.

Needless to say the whole tire change turned into a huge debacle I had to deal with after work, but I'm just glad it was local. In the 3 years I've owned the car I've taken the thing to Indy and back 6 times, Milwaukee, Kalamazoo, etc.

If anyone has brought a used car into the family fairly recently take the 5 min to make sure all the spare tire accessories, and the spare itself are compatible. Even when everything else checks out, you never know what ended up in the trunk well....

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Check your spare tire, tire iron, jack, etc!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire