lundi 28 janvier 2019

Shelter 5' Underground - How to support lateral and vertical forces?

I want to build a shelter myself to live off-the-grid in Terlingua, TX (mild desert climate, no zoning or building codes) that is 50' length x 11' width x 12' height (these are interior dimensions), but I don't know how to build the exterior structure to support the lateral and vertical forces 5' below the ground. I'm trying to build the structure to be the most affordable, cutting cost wherever possible. Since I will be personally building it, the cost of labor is excluded.

I'm considering any and all ways of building the structure, including: earthbags, reinforced concrete, timber, metal, or a combination of materials. To control moister, I am planning on encasing the entire shelter in pond liner and underlayment. Directly over the shelter, I will also lay out plastic sheeting to redirect the water outward and away from the structure.

I was considering earthbags (with rebar and barbed wire) with gravel footings, and a reinforced concrete bond beam and roof slab because I could extract gravel from the property for the footings and concrete (if I were to make the concrete) to reduce cost, but I don't think the land has 30% clay, and 70% sand for earthbags as deserts are usually sandy.

Any suggestions on how'd you do it (affordably) to support the vertical and lateral forces 5' underground?

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Shelter 5' Underground - How to support lateral and vertical forces?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire