jeudi 31 janvier 2019

VZ.24 with Type 13 bolt

I picked up a VZ.24 for $200 recently. Decent bore, ok stock. I didn't look as closely at the bolt as I should have. Took it to the gun club and shot some 8mm. The first few rounds fired, but then I started getting light primer strikes. Decided a new 24lb Wolff spring was the thing to do.

My Wolff spring came today. I started to take the bolt apart ... hmm, that's weird, where's the thing you push up to rotate the shroud? Well, there it comes, and ....

... Instead of a firing pin with spring, what came out was a firing pin in a metal sleeve. The spring was inside the upper part of the sleeve. I pulled the spring out. It came in a larger piece and a smaller (1-inch) piece. I then got my new spring and compared. The old spring is much smaller in diameter than the K98 spring.

I remembered something about Chinese Mausers (really Austrian Mausers, but purchased by a Chinese warlord) having some oddities in their bolts along these lines. After some Web searching, I believe what I have is a Manchurian Type 13 bolt in a VZ.24 gun.

While it seems strange on the surface, I can imagine how it might have happened. The combloc loaned a lot of WWII guns including VZ.24 Mausers to allies and satellite states, some of which were in Asia. And, China being Communist, it's entirely likely that the viet kong or other client group had Type 13 and VZ.24 Mausers, and did some mix and match from what they had. Or, it could be a more recent mixup of milsurp parts in or on their way to the U.S. market.

Anyway:

1 - Is this configuration safe to shoot? Now I ask, after having shot several rounds before the spring broke. (Maybe the spring broke for a reason, though.)
2 - If yes, what spring do I need to replace the broken Type 13 firing pin spring?
3 - If no, any suggestions for what to do? I could sell the Type 13 bolt and buy a different bolt, and hope it headspaces ok ...

Thanks.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



VZ.24 with Type 13 bolt

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire