mercredi 28 septembre 2016

This is why I always have spare batteries

The entire state of South Australia is without power after being smashed by a series of severe storms. Traffic lights aren't working and authorities are advising people to stay indoors until power is restored. In 19 years of living here I've only been without power for a total of five days due to storms/bad weather.

However with storm season here I keep all my rechargable batteries topped up once month or so, and have a decent amount of both alkaline and lithium primary cells to power phones, radios and flashlights. Each device is powered by an Eneloop if it's AA or AAA (have D cell to AA converters for Maglites and such), and all li-ion powered devices are run on Panasonic cells with PCB protection.

I have an electronics/battery kit in my car which can charge li-ion and ni-mh cells, a 3xAA phone charger plus 16 alkalines, 8 lithium AA's and four CR123's as I am usually carrying an 18650 powered light for work. There's also a 2xAA powered am/fm radio and a 3xAAA powered uhf radio plus an older Foursevens Quark Tactical 2xAA flashlight.

I am a big believer that during and after an event like SA has experienced (and is still experiencing as I type this), light is one of the most critical needs in the order of priorities. It's up there with water and shelter, perhaps moreso if your shelter has been damaged, as many have been tonight.

http://ift.tt/2cV45Rd

Let's block ads! (Why?)



This is why I always have spare batteries

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire