jeudi 20 juillet 2017

deteriorating eyesight and red dots vs. irons

Im a couple of years younger than you, and kind of have the same issue. I currently wear cheaters for reading the fine stuff, plans at work, med bottles, close, fine work, etc, but quit wearing progressive trifocals about 10 years ago, and I swear my eyes are now better for doing so. All I normally wear when I shoot, are my current safety glasses from work. No correction or "power".

I got hot on the red dots about 15 years ago, and still like them a lot, especially for shooting that tends to be reactive. I just find them to be a lot easier to shoot with, especially if speed and movement are involved.

Now, I still do shoot tighter "groups" with my aperture type "peeps", when I shoot at targets with a specific aiming point, like a black on white bullseye.

I believe thats due to having an astigmatism in my strong eye, which makes the dot more of a "star" than a dot. And then theres the fact the dot is a 4moa dot, which tends to make longer distance targets a bit more of a challenge, when it comes to shooting "groups". I can still make good "hits", just not the tight repetitive "groups" you tend to get with a good set of irons, or a scope.

I have found that if you dial the dots brightness down, it does seem to help with the precision, and the dot, while fainter, is also a bit clearer, with less of the starburst effect.

As much as Id like to upgrade my handguns to red dots, Ive been fighting the urge, mostly because I know Im going to like them, and cant afford to do the update on all of them. So Im still using traditional handgun irons, most of which are three dot night sights.

The only thing I do notice there is, Im starting to notice I like a finer front with a larger rear notch, which gives more light on the sides when they are aligned. I recently put a set of plain, black irons, with the finer front/larger rear, on the Glock I shoot the most.

In bright light, I do really see a difference at 25, 50 and 100 yards, and find it is easier to shoot quickly (using the sights) at all distances. But..., theres always that but , the black/black against anything "dark", on in less than bright light, is instantly noticeable, and still very much sucks! I need a set of "skinny and wide" three dots!

Let's block ads! (Why?)



deteriorating eyesight and red dots vs. irons

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire