lundi 25 décembre 2017

bolt action rifle what’s a good budget caliber to shoot.

I sold several of my "hunting guns" a couple of years ago, to get rid of rare and expensive rounds. I needed a replacement....

For my primary hunting gun (cartridge), there were a couple of requirements.....

1. Available ammo. I visited my local Wal-Mart. I made it a point to check out ammo and prices in little stores in small, rural towns.

2. Inexpensive ammo. Every store I visited, I compared prices of the various rounds.

3. All-around capability. North American game is the target, so I only needed ballistics that would shoot flat, but also be effective on large game.

I intentionally selected the 270 Win. I reload....so....I have maximum variability.....

110gr.... great varmint loads
130gr.... great for deer and flat shooting long distance
150gr.... great for Elk
165-180gr.... Bigger Critters

But a basic load of either 130gr or 150gr in Wal-Mart is as cheap a big game ammo as can be purchased and an incredibly versatile gun.

By the way, I opted for the Ruger American and it drills single holes.... Topped with a Redfield 3-9x40.

Post Script...... If I owned the guns you have..... I would purchase a .223/5.56. Your Creedmoor and Aught Six means you don't need a 270.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



bolt action rifle what’s a good budget caliber to shoot.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire