jeudi 28 décembre 2017

Good day at the Gun Shop

Yesterday I went with my best buddy to the local gun shop to pick up his latest new gun, a Mossberg Scout – 308.
We arrived and exchanged pleasantries with the guy behind the counter (he didn’t know us- new guy) and on asking what he could do for us my friend produced his deposit papers etc. and the guy said, “OK it’ll be through the back I’ll go and find it,” and off he went.
So then we headed off to the gun racks to browse. Immediately I was attracted to and picked up a .300 Win. Mag and as I was looking at it I saw my buddy shouldering a gun off to the side and then the next thing he wasn’t there, I looked around and he was stood at the counter with a gun placed on the counter in front of him.

So I went over and there on the counter was a Marlin CB, 45/70, multi layered laminate stock in greyish to dark brown with a lovely smoky stainless barrel and action.
I looked at him and he stated “I’m having it”.
I said, “we haven’t even been in here two minutes and you’ve already bought another gun”?
“Yep I ain’t letting anyone else get the chance of this, it’s mine”!
The guy then appears with the Scout plus suppressor and couldn’t believe there was another sale in less than 2 mins.
So after the paperwork was done for the Scout a deposit was placed on the Marlin and due paperwork done.
Then he placed an order for a 20 round magazine for the Scout and also bought some more 308 ammo.
My buddy then spotted a 2nd hand Nightforce scope at a very good price and snapped that up too.

By now every salesman in the shop were there with us and I checked out some reloading gear and got some good advice on what to get, no, not the expensive multi -turret systems, the guy dealing with me said to go for a single turret Lee press and go from there and rather than let me buy the gear there and then he said he’d check out some details on the loads and best powder etc. for the ammo I was going to load (270 to start with for my favourite gun – my Tikka T3) from one of his friends who is a whizz on the 270 loads.
He also “gave” me 100 bullet heads in advance for free and said to come back in a couple of weeks to see what his friend advised. (I’ve reloaded shotgun before but never centrefire).
Any way after 4 hours in the shop and much banter (plus me nearly placing an order for the same Marlin,….. I’ll think on it – (Boss man owner of the shop, an old friend of ours said he could get me one quick if I wanted).

It was then back to my buddy’s farm, out onto the farm range in the dark which we lit up with powerful lamps.
I got to sight it in (it’s always me as I can work out MOA and ‘dope a scope etc) and had them group in a 2” bull at 100 yards after 8 shots.
Oh and by the way the suppressor on the Scout fits over the barrel and is threaded about 2/3rds of the way up it and surprisingly doesn’t alter the feel or balance of the gun much at all.
Lovely trigger pull, well balanced and very easy to use. Doesn’t need a bipod on it like some of our rifles. I’m extremely impressed with it.

My buddy rang me today to say that he had been to the County Police Firearms Department this morning (not far away) all the paperwork had been given in and as they were short staffed with the Xmas holiday period they couldn’t process the details today for the Marlin there and then, but would have it done priority next week. So probably next weekend it will be back for the Marlin (and whatever else)!
Good day indeed.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Good day at the Gun Shop

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire