lundi 1 janvier 2018

Newby training tips

My mother is finally interested in being armed.

I've taken her shooting 2x while visiting.

Thing is she has vision problems: a severe stigmatism.

Finally broke that with a red dot.

Was still an issue with handguns.

I finally got her to get over it. (She's VERY precise. Couldn't understand the concept of "good enough") by blindfold ing myself, and dumping a cylinder (she picked a Model 10, not the Glock I was trying to get her to use) into a target.
-so there's now model 10's and speed loaders all over the house.

For some reason, blindfolded, rapid firing with a grouping I could cover with my hand @15-20' seemed to make the point to her (like nothing else would) that she didn't need to see/align everything perfectly to put bullets center mass. (Telling her she DIDN'T need to be able to see/focus on the target that she was shooting really didn't sink in.)
But those 6 rounds did.

-yes I 'cheated' body was indexed with the target... (easy/anyone could do it) was just proving you didn't need to see to get a grouping.

Hope I explained that adequately.

Another thing I do:

When people aren't hitting the target and blaming it on the gun I drop the mag (just one in the chamber) and take it in 2 fingers.
My thumb behind the backstrap and index on the finger.
Stand on one leg (was YEARS after my foot surgeries till I had enough balance to do this again) and fire 1 round into the bullseye.

It's LOTS Of fun to stand on one leg, fire a round into the bullseye only holding the gun with 2 fingers, and turn to the protester and say: "It's not the gun"

Trick is: it's actually EASIER to shoot a bullseye with only 2 fingers.... because as I say to the student:
The only things that matter are sight alignment and trigger control.... and the 'cheat" is with that grip it's EASIER. (The one leg is showmanship.)

So:
What little "tricks" do you use to help teach?

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Newby training tips

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire