mercredi 23 janvier 2019

Hot showers after SHTF

I often appreciate a hot shower and think that I will reallllyyy miss that luxury. I have been considering different options of how to remain comfortable in the event of EMP, CME, breakdown of the economy where the power grid is unstable.....etc. Most rural homes have a well that depends on electricity to both pump the water and to maintain water pressure via a pressure tank. And, off grid folks often recommend a 12 v diaphram pump to maintain pressure. But all things break down, and just how many spare pumps will be available, and at what cost? And how to heat?

My plan: I intend to have a water well drilled near my cabin (I already have one well about 600 ft away, which is now in use with 240v elec pump). I have a spare windmill to place near my cabin, and can use it for both domestic water and for a garden. But to get pressurized water, I have considered elevating a water holding tank, and have never convinced myself that this is the way to go.

I have found how to make a small air compressor from a refrigerator/freezer compressor. These parts will be readily available after SHTF when nobody has electricity. Then, place an old water heater outside of the cabin, in such a manner as to build a fire under it to heat water, pressurize the water tank, and viola, hot water under pressure for showers.

This setup should be easy to build and also easy to repair/replace if needed. And also easily drained after use in the winter to prevent freezing. This of course will require a solar set up, but a refrig compressor requires little electricity.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Hot showers after SHTF

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire