jeudi 4 août 2016

Helpful info from Western WA/Southern Puget Sound Area Preppers...

I know there's a lot of us preppers, but there's not a lot of us actively sharing information here...I don't know why other than we're a cautious bunch. I also suspect that we've an active militia but they are discrete. Haven't talked to one or seen traces of them in years, but that could be me changing what I do and where I go...

I'll share some random information and thoughts and hope others will as well so I can learn more about our region.

OK, some of the things I know...and wonder about.

Periodically, in the Fall, near Chambers Creek, where it meets Puget Sound, the Native Americans catch and sell salmon, King Salmon is what I'm interested, but I'll take silver. If the catch is good, it's reasonable. Problem is, I have to just start checking and it's hit or miss...sometimes I've seen what I suspect is sea run cutthroat in their catches, I never thought to haggle for them. Be cordial and respectful, this is part of their culture. They're decent enough but sometimes a bit defensive, deal with a lot of buttheads.

If someone KNOWS the schedule, I'd appreciate that. A point of contact would be even better. They pull out some great fish and most of them give fair deals. You might wind up with a fish so big you won't know how to handle it.

I know that on the Coast, at times, they have tuna for sale, at good prices. I'd like to have someone who knew the when and wheres. I'd appreciate that. On the coast one time, I saw fair to high prices for smoked salmon, and simply asked about better deals for more fish and got it. Don't hurt to ask.

Tried different ways of cleaning crab. like the technique I developed from another. Invert the crab, take a good machete and crack that right in the center underneath (a front to back cut on the belly side) and bend the legs in, everything pops out of the shell and it's easy to clean. No barked up knuckles from ripping the thing apart.

If you're not familiar with Asian markets, check them out...there's some things you might not be familiar with. There are many forms of small sea life that are dried, I bet they'd last long if vacuum packed. Includes krill, squid, pollack and fish fry. Not my thing, but they'd be inexpensive animal based protein. Recently heard a produce guy tell me that he goes to Korean markets for his personal produce, although he's not Asian. Some good deals.

If you're not familiar with Woks, consider learning to use them, they're versatile.

They have a barley cracker they sell as snacks. It's similar to animal crackers and short bread, it was the Imperial japanese army hardtack. There are many crackers including ones like saltines and ritz, in very heavy mylar packaging...as well as inexpensive marshmellow pies.

Best thing from Asian markets is the small butane stoves. They run about $20 now. four canisters about $7. Quick heat, can burns for over an hour. The little stoves can take a surprising amount of weight. I know someone who uses them for HUGE crab boils. (Big stock pot). You can use these indoors. When we have a blackout, I pull this out if we need soup or coffee.

The Puyallups have a Lobster buffet, Sundays beginning at 11 at the Emerald Queen, Puyallup. Salmon, prime rib, crab legs, shrimp cocktail. They have better crab at other buffets, but few have all you can eat lobster. One of my sons simply goes a few hours earlier and gets a comp rather than have to pay. They seem generous with comps.

In Lakewood near Steilacoom? go explore the trails in the Park across from Western State...most people just go around the 'lake', go up on the hill where the old Western State stood, or go to the dog park. Check out the forested trails. Look for 3B. When I was in better shape I use to run up that dang thing. Right now, if you move really quietly, you can stalk a lot of small game. I don't know if they have crawfish in the 'lake' but I assume they do. Some Pokemon hot spots.

Across from the park, on Western State Grounds, the Steilacoom historical association or some group does a Christmas thing, they usually have a recipe that's like 100 years old for some cake or something, and they have historians and reenactors talk. Now here's the prepping things, learned a tremendous amount from the historical stuff. for example, it wasn't big roaring fires, small fires, just to take the chill off, you wear clothing in the house, keeps you warmer, saves critical fuel, wet weather is terrible, tough. They had a special shirt, similar to that german wet and cold weather overshirt because of our climate. Army and settlers who spent a lot of time out in the weather wore them, wool of course, Sounds like we should ahve them again. As any of us who have been on the trails know, the army found the trails trecherous and difficult in the fall and winter, and I guess during summer and spring rains. corrosion of military metal equipment and rot on leather a problem, worse than most places. We live in a very rough area if it came down to survivailsm. Buy some wools and Gore-tex! look for announcements in the fall for the historical society stuff.

I haven't hit Surplus Ammo and Arms much since they moved to Tacoma, but when I did, I got great deals. Staff members seem knowledgable.

Tactical Tailor added firearms and some accessories. Just a sideilne. BTW, they will work with you and make custom items. I designed a machete scabbard and they made it to my specs. Get smart with you do it, put a pouch on your design rather than just MOLLE webbing, and you'll save on buying a pouch. Good people who will work with you.

In the Mexican grocery stores, the neatest thing are HUGE candles in thick walled glass with religious pictures on them. I pull those stickers off. The candles burn for a long time. They're very cheap. Funny thing, only tried it in a few places, but they make good fries and American food at Mexican restaurants on South Tacoma way.

Recently, I discovered Bruno's European Restaurant in Lakewood. Lots of good food items. I've eaten their Schnizels and will try other things. Not cheap, but I'm addicted to their Hangover Soup. They have beer from Czech, Poland, even a French one and of course, German! The deserts I tried are German, which means not overwhelmingly sweet, so I make an exception and eat dessert there. Older crowd, quieter for the early dinner.

Just a few things about the Lakewood/Steilacoom area for those who might not know.

Now what I'm wondering about is where to get bulk quinoa, dried kale, decent sweet potatoes at a good price, best place for exotic canned foods like those from Zergut, (I know there's a place in Tacoma, some ethnic place that has their stuff tomatoes, cabbage, egg plants, etc, at reasonable prices.) Best place for good meat at decent prices, best western wa place for game meats (not just them advertising, but what people KNOW.) Landjager at a reasonable price,

Places like H&H produce, etc.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Helpful info from Western WA/Southern Puget Sound Area Preppers...

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire