mercredi 23 novembre 2016

Building a new backwoods hunting rifle

I recently traded away my 7.5 lb carbine in 308 Winchster. So this winter, I building a replacement.

I have spent more than 20 yrs hunting at high elevation in wilderness zones of the western US. For many of these trips I hiked into my hunting zone. I learned a few lessons during this time and I am basing a lot of my design decisions on this experience.

The number one lesson learned is that your rifle will get filthy. You also might end up face down in the Kern river. It dos not matter what kind of rifle you carry, you must be able to field strip, and clean the action and bore in the field.

The second thing I learned is you must be able to make relatively long shots in poor light, and under gusty wind conditions. A flat shooting cartridge, pushing a heavy, streamlined bullet is required for hunting is these conditions. Truely great optics are also required.

Finally, I learned that a rifle carried under these conditions should be lighter than the typical full size 8.5-9 lb rifle.

I am currently thinking of using a Brno VZ-24 action and light wt composite stock for this project. I am also considering building it in 308 win.

Can anyone share any other lessons?
Cartridge and optics suggestions?

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Building a new backwoods hunting rifle

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire