mardi 22 novembre 2016

What this election has taught me

This election cycle was stress filled for many of us. I know I saw a really ugly side of people, and it also produced an ugly side in me. I gloated a bit after Trump won. I also saw the really embarrassing liberal side in others. I lost some acquaintances over arguments, or disrespect, or my no longer liking them because I cannot like someone I don't respect - and when someone endorses Black Lives Matter or other stupid positions, or votes for a criminal because she's the first woman to run, I can't be your friend. Sorry.

This election offered two candidates with starkly different views. But in reality, about the same number of people voted this election as in past elections.

We saw:
50% of adults are too apathetic to care enough to vote. So when you look around at the 120,000,000 (1 in 2) adults who just don't care, remember that. Whether it's apathy or protest, it not voting is stupid. Surely if one were to educate him/herself, 1 candidate is better on at least 1 issue. Or do you really just not care about anything at all other than playing video games or baking cakes? Voting is such a sacred right, yet you voluntarily choose to make your own voice irrelevant.

~5% threw their votes away, don't know how math works, and don't understand the Electoral College. A minor step up from apathy, is a vote in protest. Which does absolutely nothing. Why bother? You're in the 50% category above - at least they didn't waste their time making their voice irrelevant.

25% voted for (or against the opponent) a candidate who has a legacy of incompetence, flip-flops, sexism and racism, and corruption that (if she were a GOP) they would want her in prison - but it's different because she's a woman and Democrat. They also held the opponents transgressions as more significant. This group doesn't understand that dire problems our nation is having, and I view this group as a "Give me more, how can I personally benefit" group. I'm bewildered how someone can overlook - well, she IS the skeleton in the closet. Let's be honest. Yet 61 million just don't care about her corruption and dangerous ineptitude, and hypocrisy, and so much worse.

25% voted for (or against the opponent) a candidate with flip-flops, lawsuits, some business failures, and some remarkably bad private and public statements in his closet. They also held the opponents transgressions as more significant. I view this group as understanding the national problems and wanting to fix them, more self-less (although surely everyone has selfish interests, but for this group they want jobs, not handouts), and better able to prioritize. Willing to overlook mean comments and see a better and more accomplished leader able to fix problems.

I'm not sure what is worse, the 25% of Americans who voted for Hillary and want that vision of America, or the 50% who make their own voice irrelevant, 5% who don't understand how the EC and math works and went through the motions but still had an irrelevant vote.

So when you go to the shopping mall, or are out in public, remember this. If you see 12 people, only about 3 voted for Trump. 5 didn't care enough to vote, 1 voted 3rd party, and 3 voted for Hillary.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



What this election has taught me

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire