lundi 14 mai 2018

Brainstorming countertop options

My wife and I are in the middle of a light update to our kitchen and we are considering replacing 2 small counter sections next to our stove with butcher block...that will actually be used as butcher block. The countertop on one side is slightly damaged anyway (previous owner had an appliance or something else that got too hot) and all of the countertops are ugly. Our kitchen is small, so pretty much every available square inch of countertop is a food prep area. My thinking is make everything butcher block, and you will be able to cut and prep anywhere. This will also help eliminate the constant management of all the cutting boards we own (which has been an ongoing issue).

When I look at butcher block countertops, they are always thick...1 1/8" to 1 1/2" typically. This creates an issue for me since our stove burners need to be above the level of the countertop. I just confirmed that I do not have enough travel in the adjustable feet of the stove to accommodate a countertop this thick without modifying the base cabinets.

I found this video of an idea to make my own countertop (summary: 1x4" maple lumber, pocket hole jig, lots of sanding) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2nm3YoE5yA

Just looking for various ideas that don't involve contractors or becoming an overly involved remodel. A countertop thickness of 1" would be ideal - decently thick but won't be taller than the stove - but 3/4" would work. Anything over 1" will present problems/more work that I want.

Thanks!

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Brainstorming countertop options

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire