mardi 26 juin 2018

Bad canned food

Making a meal, came across this "Best by 12/2015" discounted and dented can that I had tucked away in my pantry.

This was green beans packaged by Libby. Looks like it came from Walmart based on the price tag.

Today, in 2018 (yes, 2.5 years past its "best buy" date) it had very clear signs of bacteria grown on the lid around the dent, so obviously there was a pin hole. No idea when it went bad, but glad I never ate it even on day one. I poked at it with a knife and the juice was black. I didn't want to open it or keep it in the house due to risk of spores or contamination on any surfaces or instruments, so I photographed it and bagged it and put it in the covered outside trash can.

Washed my hands and inspected other nearby cans and food stuffs. All are covered, no exposed food there, and no other signs on any other cans.

Looks like I paid 50 cents for the dented can. I think I'll never buy a dented can again. The risk is not worth saving a few pennies. Probably wise not to take that gamble. I'm guessing even at 3 years past the "best buy" date, this would have otherwise been totally fine if it wasn't dented.

So this was penny wise and pound foolish. Could have also been dangerous if it was contaminated when I bought it and could have made someone sick.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Bad canned food

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire