vendredi 29 juin 2018

Small electric fence setup for chicken coop?

Default Small electric fence setup for chicken coop?


Hello. I went out to my chicken coop yesterday to collect their eggs and noticed that various parts of my coop had been seriously clawed at. Obviously it had been a black bear that had come through in the night. Thankfully it hadn't broken/torn anything loose. My coop is made up of two levels and I designed it that way on purpose. The lower level has a dirt floor (with a layer of concrete pavers and chicken wire under it to prevent digging) and is secured by regular galvanized chicken wire. The second story is their nesting/sleep area and is made of nothing but 2x6 boards secured to 4x4 posts. It has two vents in the top that I can raise up in the summer months for air circulation. Ok. . .there is a trapdoor in the bottom of the second story that I shut (most of the time) at night so no small varmint can get in, assuming it tears through the chicken wire on the bottom floor. I now religiously shut the trap door every night until bear season is gone. My question is this. . .how would I make a small electric fence that I could use as a perimeter for my coop? All the kits I've seen at tractor supply and other places are for huge areas and are $100+. Is this the best "anti bear" option? I've also thought about getting some heavy gauge welded wire and putting it over the chicken wire for the bottom floor. If I can catch Mr. Bear out one night, I'll give him something to remember me by, but they usually don't come when I'm around. Let me know what you all think!

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Small electric fence setup for chicken coop?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire