dimanche 24 avril 2016

Randall #10 Stainless

When my late father retired from the sheriff department in the 80s, he was given a Randall #10 knife with 7" blade. It's basically for cleaning fish, though the spine is 1/8". I have Bark River knives in cpm 3v and Battle Horse knives in 01, as well as knives I made myself in 01. The edge of the Randall knife does not hold up as well as the others. This is not surprising as far as the cpm 3v knives go, but 01 tool steel? Even my home made knives I heat treated in my backyard and tempered in a toaster oven?

I'm not putting down Randall knives, as stainless just doesn't hold an edge well, no matter the type of stainless or who made the knife. While the #10 is the least expensive model Randall sells, it's still a Randall and is $245 with a four year wait. That's more than I paid for a Bark River Bravo 1.5 in cpm 3v, and there was no waiting list. Yet the Randall does not hold an edge anywhere near as well as plain 01 tool steel, even home heat treated knives I made. So far, after decades of trying stainless knives, I have yet to find one that holds an edge well. Anyone who claims stainless holds an edge better than "high carbon" steel is wrong. Ask yourself why all other steels are not obsolete if stainless holds an edge better? Why bother with steels that rust easily AND do not hold an edge as well as stainless? The answer is stainless does NOT hold an edge was well.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Randall #10 Stainless

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire