mercredi 9 mai 2018

Advice for a home/roadtrip/camping FAK

I'm looking to get our first serious FAK for our home and to take on road/camping trips. Right now we have only Band Aids, gauze, tape, hydrogen peroxide, triple antibiotic, Tylenol, etc in our medicine drawer. I am first aid and CPR certified for my job, but the training was pretty basic.
I'd like to get more training in future.

I found this FAK (link below) thanks to Jerry providing some links in another thread. I'm wondering what experienced FAK builders think of it and what should perhaps be added for the situations I might encounter. Another big question I have: is it worth the $110 or would it be more cost effective to build one a-la-carte?

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...damentals.html

Situations I want to be prepared for:

Minor cuts, scrapes, etc.
Major cuts/bleeding (chainsaw, table saw, car wreck, bad fall on rocks, etc.)
Puncture wound (nail gun)
Broken bone
CPR
Sprain
Eye injury
Heat-related illness and dehydration (and diarrhea)
Hypothermia
Sunburn
Insect/snake bite (though snake is less likely here in the Southeast)

Items I'm thinking I'll want to add:

Tourniquet
Trauma pack with QuikClot (I will need to learn how to properly use this first --I've heard QuikClot can worsen injuries if used improperly).
Emergency thermal blanket
Some sort of rehydration/electrolyte product that doesn't mind storage
Headlamp or small flashlight
Maybe some kind of wound closure items besides those strips

Any other items I should consider?
Any common situations I'm not accounting for? And can I purchase QuikClot product/training if I'm NOT military or first responder?

Thanks for your input!

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Advice for a home/roadtrip/camping FAK

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire