dimanche 10 mars 2019

Green House 101 help needed.

I have several gardening posts and threads, and I believe I have a good working back background. I have grown and tried just about everything with varying success. I have moved from a zone 11a to what is listed as zone 8 in the north west. So yes I have a very new learning curve something I am trying to improve each year.

We have had extended snows this year as compared to what I experienced the previous 3, it is not even supposed to snow here but lightly and only every few years. So I am dealing with something totally foreign to me. I had to compost my first seed sets and my second set is leggy because I have been using grow lights, limited garage space and the lights are probably higher than they should be. I have them in peat pots and take them out each day weather permitting. Snow is forecast again in three days.....

I went to the local build-O-rama today and saw they had brussel sprouts/broccoli/cauliflower and others out already. These plants are full and 8" plus tall, I may pick some up just so I can do a side by side comparison this year.....

I am sure these were grown in hot houses or green houses. I also see photos of where people have large gardens in green houses that are fully grown and producing. I dont see any extra lighting in them, so how much light is lost when the opaque plastic is used I would assume that it would greatly affect yields and plant health if used for long periods.

I dont want to set up a glass frame house, or spend a lot on lights and heat. I may just be limited to one late season harvest a year. Before I could get two and sometimes 3 harvests on the quickies.

I was wondering if placing a green house where my clothes dryer vents into it; if that has been done before, it has a negative of being on a north facing wall though.

For something like the cheap the 70$ portable amazon green house how much benefit can you get? they look to be PVC and clear plastic.

I guess my goal is start seed sets and be able to house them for 4-6 weeks and get something healthy and not raid mypocket book. I am probably doomed to not getting anything in the ground before april anymore. Kids before have hit the pool by this time in the old zone LOL.

I think I will look on craigslist and watch for discount pot growers lights, and such for my future endeavors.... I may just have to reserve a garage wall and deal with the electric bill.

Thanks any direction or help is appreciated.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Green House 101 help needed.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire