mardi 12 mars 2019

Using powdered eggs

This weekend we opened a can of powdered eggs from Honeyville Grains. These were bought about 2 or 3 years ago, so not very old. We had gone up to our cabin and forgotten to bring the fresh eggs. The nearest grocery store is about an hour drive, so it was make-do time.

The instructions say to mix 2 Tbsp egg powder with 4 Tbsp water to reconstitute one egg. No other instructions.

I mixed up 1 c egg powder and 2 water (to make the equivalent of 8 eggs). When I scramble fresh eggs, I just mix the eggs with a fork and scramble them in butter. No milk or anything else.

I let the powdered eggs sit in the water for about 1/2 hour. They were very thin, but I cooked them up just like I usually do with fresh.

Terrible. Absolutely terrible. The taste was tolerable, but they were so grainy that we had to choke them down.

We used the powder in chocolate chip cookies that night and we all decided that we preferred the "chia egg" substitute I'd made the night before better.

Is there a trick to using and preparing powdered eggs?

Let's block ads! (Why?)



Using powdered eggs

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire