I have a reason for asking. I have a friend who just can't seem to get over lung problems. He's had pneumonia I don't know how many times. He even tested positive for TB and went through nearly a year of those drugs. His lungs always seem to clear up nicely after another round of antibiotics but when he goes off of them, the lungs are once more causing him issues.
I am wondering if he has a sick house. Seriously. He had a major water issue a couple of years ago where a water pipe broke and flooded part of the house and dumped a lot of water into he crawl space under the house. He had someone come in and clean up the water inside. He installed a dehumidifier under the house, put down plastic and sealed up the crawl space walls (concrete block) in addition to putting in drainage around the exterior to channel water away from the foundation. He's had the underside treated for mold, and there was mold there. But I don't think anything much has been done inside the living area of the house.
I noticed the last time that I visited him, that I felt a little tight in the chest myself after being there for a while, and it seemed to clear up pretty quickly after I left. Could have been a coincidence. I also noticed that in one room of the house, there are a couple of small areas on the ceiling that are like a black mark coming through the paint. It doesn't seem to brush off easily and it's not bulky enough to flake off, more like it's bleeding through the paint. Could that be mold? I don't know.
I've talked to my friend about it and he admits that there might be something there but I don't think he's had anything actually tested. If it's not a huge amount of money, I might be willing to spring for some testing for him but I don't want to waste money on something cheap that doesn't even work. Conversely, I don't want to waste money on someone who breaks out a $25 test and wants $3,500 for setting it out and having a lab do a $50 test on it.
Anybody have any experience with these things? what works, what doesn't? what's a reasonable price? what's robbery? what a person needs to worry about? what a person doesn't need to worry about?
Thanks!
Testing for mold
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire